U.N.C.E.N.S.O.R.E.D. is an all-school meeting that invites the community to share ideas and discuss issues, typically outside of the realm of Athenian. This morning, a student brought up the topic of the recent Innocence of Muslims video released on YouTube on 9-11. Having discussed it in a seminar, the student wanted to hear what the community thought about the video. Should it be censored? How does freedom of speech play a role in the conflict? Why was there such a strong response across the globe?
Some of the issues brought up and discussed include:
- Is freedom of speech a good or bad thing?
- Do we really have the right to say anything we want?
- What does it mean to hate? Why do people hate?
- What justifies killing?
- With freedom comes great responsibility
- There is no personal accountability in the age of digital anonymity
Feel free to comment below with your own questions, thoughts, or natterings.